Read the text and choose the right forms from the variants below
Once … (11) beautiful maple tree grew in the centre of a large park. All summer it was covered with green leaves. Many people sat on the green grass under it and enjoyed its … (12) shade. But along with the fall came a change in the maple tree. Its green leaves began to turn red and yellow. So everyone said, "How beautiful … (13)!” The maple tree was glad to hear it and she became proud and vain. She spread out her branches so far that a little pine close by was almost hidden from … (14). "It doesn’t matter,” said the maple, "No one cares to look at him, he is … (15) plain little tree.” The pine heard the unkind words and sighed. Just then a cold wind passed and said, "Why do you sigh, little pine?” The pine replied, "I sigh because the maple is so … (16) beautiful than I am”. The wind felt sorry … (17) him and whispered, "Only wait!” In a few days the leaves of the maple tree turned brown and fell to the ground. When the snow came, there was but one bright … (18) spot in the whole park, the brave pine with the needles … (19) they were when they first came … (20).
11. A) a B) the C) o
12. А) hot B) cool C) sunny
13. A) the tree is B) is the tree C) the tree
14. A) scenery B) sight C) scene
15. A) so B) such C) such a
16. A) more B) much more C) much
17. A) for B) with C) at
18. A) cheerful B) the cheerful C) cheerless
19. A) so green B) as green as C) green as
20. A) by B) out C) near
Choose the correct form
21. He left the … on the table.
А) keys B) keyes C) keies
22. Many … have been shot.
А) wolf B) wolfs C) wolves
23. I like … pictures over there.
А) that B) these C) those
24. There are many …-doctors in the hospital.
А) woman B) womens C) women
25. Nick’s mother and my mother are … .
А) housewives B) houseswives C) housewifes
26. Your trousers … too long.
А) are B) is C) was
27. The scissors … sharp.
А) is B) was C) are
28. Physics … my best subject at school.
А) are B) is C) were
29. The news … so exciting that I couldn’t sleep.
А) was B) were C) is
30. The police … arrested the thief.
А) have B) has C) was
Fill in the correct prepositions
31. Don’t worry, she will look … the kids.
A) at B) on C) after
32. I’m looking … Steve. Have you seen him?
А) at B) for C) on
33. Look … ! There’s a car coming.
А) out B) for C) at
34. You should look … the new words in the dictionary.
А) up B) at C) on
35. He looks … on anyone who doesn’t have a college education.
А) at B) down C) up
36. Put your coat … before you go outside.
А) in B) on C) off
37. Well, put … your books and start writing.
А) aside B) across C) out
38. Please, put your phone number … my book.
А) out in B) down in C) away in
39. The meeting has been put … till next week.
А) out B) away C) off
40. The firefighters managed to put … the fire.
A) out B) off C) away
Use the correct form of the verb
41. He … down and broke his leg.
А) felt B) fell C) falls
42. The young man … that a sunray was playing on his face.
А) fell B) felt C) filled
43. I had lost my keys and was glad when I … them.
А) found B) founded C) find
44. The birds … away in autumn.
А) flow B) flown C) flew
45. He didn’t admit that he had … to his parents.
А) lied B) laid C) lain
46. Please don’t … from the sofa and don’t move!
А) rise B) raise C) rose
47. She … her head and didn’t look up at me.
А) didn’t rise B) didn’t raise C) didn’t rose
48. Mr. Brown … in bed and didn’t want to get up.
А) laid B) lay C) lied
49. The waitress … the knives and forks on the table.
А) layed B) laid C) lied
50. When I entered the room she was … in bed and reading.
А) laying B) lieing C) lying
Help Tom and Ann find the way
Help Tom to get to the museum
51. Go … Victoria Street.
А) along B) across C) ahead
52. Take the first turning … .
А) left B) on the left C) to the left
53. Go straight ahead … the traffic lights.
А) near B) by C) to
54. Cross the street … the crossing.
А) near B) at C) by
55. The museum is … the end of the street.
А) at B) in C) by
Help Ann to get to the bus stop
56. Go straight ahead … the library.
А) at B) past C) over
57. Turn … into Park Street.
А) left B) on the left C) to the left
58. Cross Sun Street and then turn … .
А) left B) on the right C) to the right
59. The bus stop is … the supermarket.
А) behind B) past C) next to
60. … the bus you need.
A) Take B) Get C) Have
Скачать буклет в PDF
Задания 9-11 классы
Скачать аудирование 9-11 классы
Listen to the text and choose the correct answer
1. The city can boast the ancient … .
A) theatre B) cinema C) library
2. The amphitheatre has … seats on both levels.
A) nineteen B) forty two C) twenty three
3. The high parapet proves that … .
A) there are five entrances onto the stage
B) fights were held there
C) spectators used to walk there
4. The form of the stadium resembles the letter … .
A) T B) U C) V
5. The stadium used to hold … twenty thousand people.
A) much than B) more than C) less than
6. … was decorated with statues of athletes.
A) The stadium B) The stage C) A huge building
7. Two in every three of the spaces were … .
A) the stadium B) the theatre C) shops
8. … shops are connected to each other.
A) All the B) Some of the C) Modern
9. The wall to separate a part of the stadium was built … .
A) not long ago B) in the third century C) recently
10. The guide wants to show the … .
A) suburbs B) castle C) main street
Read the text and insert the right form from the variants below
There was once a young student who was in love with the daughter of a Professor, but she had said that she would only dance with him at the Prince’s ball if he … (11) her red roses. Unfortunately, the student had no roses in his garden. While he … (12) in his garden … (13) nightingale heard him and felt sorry for him because she believed that he was a true lover. She decided to help him, and flew to a rose tree to get him the rose he needed. But the rose tree had only white roses. Another rose tree had only yellow roses. At last she found a rose tree which grew red roses but this year, … (14) the severe winter, it didn’t have any roses. The nightingale begged the rose tree … (15) her how to get a red rose. Reluctantly the tree explained that she … (16) to kill herself by pressing against a thorn while singing. After a moment’s thought the nightingale decided to do this. … (17) night came and the nightingale sang all night pressing against a thorn, as she … (18) promised, until she died. The next day the student found the red rose and rushed to the Professor’s house to give the rose to the girl and … (19) her of her promise. The girl, … (20), was more impressed by the jewels than by the poor student’s flower. Disillusioned, the student went home and returned to his books.
11. A) brings B) would bring C) brought
12. A) cried B) was crying C) had cried
13. A) a B) the C) no article
14. A) because B) because of C) as
15. A) to say B) to tell C) to tell to
16. A) must B) have C) would have
17. A) Eventually B) However C) Although
18. A) has B) had C) would
19. A) to remember B) to remind C) to mind
20. A) however B) although C) moreover
Fill in the correct preposition or verb
21. Take your jacket … . It’s warm here.
А) on B) out C) off
22. You should fasten your seat belts when the plane takes … .
А) off B) away C) down
23. She really takes … her mother.
А) at B) after C) about
24. Most of the space in the room was taken … by a large table.
А) out B) up C) into
25. He seemed quite taken … by the news.
А) aback B) along C) about
26. Children under 16 … up half the population of the city.
А) make B) fix C) take
27. Her parents died and she was … up by her grandmother.
А) taken B) brought C) kept
28. He has … up photography.
А) taken B) kept C) made
29. You’re walking too fast. I can’t … up with you.
А) go B) turn C) keep
30. We arranged to meet Dave last night, but he didn’t … up.
А) take B) turn C) catch
Select the word closest in meaning to the one underlined
31. Everyone was astonished to hear of the latest news.
А) surprised B) unhappy C) worried
32. The committee failed to make any headway.
А) profit B) progress C) agreement
33. The chairman reported a slight increase in the production.
А) great B) disappointed C) small
34. Our position was undermined by the opposite party.
А) conspired B) splintered C) weakened
35. She utterly misrepresented their position.
А) completely B) purposely C) surprisingly
36. He doesn’t perceive all the consequences of his actions.
А) accept B) understand C) admit
37. There has been a protracted discussion over the issue.
А) explosive B) heated C) lengthy
38. She paid the delivery man grudgingly.
А) generously B) unwillingly C) quickly
39. One thing was sure; the future looked bleak.
А) discouraging B) spoiled C) promising
40. The plans for reorganization were acclaimed by the employees.
А) criticized B) praised C) accepted
What does the given sentence mean?
41. He doesn’t know what she’s like.
А) He cannot decide what gift to buy.
В) She is really a bad person.
С) He does not know her very well.
42. I came across his report while clearing out my office.
А) I expected to find his report. В) I replaced his report. С) I found his report by chance.
43. I wish I hadn’t asked her to stay.
А) I hoped she would stay but I didn’t ask.
В) I’m sorry that I asked her to stay.
С) I’m sorry that I didn’t ask her to stay.
44. You weren’t meant to read that report.
А) You should not have read that report.
В) That report has no meaning for you.
С) You will not be permitted to read that report.
45. Chances are slim that the economy will improve.
А) The economy is having a slow recovery.
В) The economy should be better quite soon.
С) The economy will probably not get better.
46. Were it up to her, we’d all be dismissed.
А) She will make the final decision.
В) She would like to fire everyone.
С) Some people will be separated.
47. Should you see her in London, give her my regards.
А) You might see her. В) You have to see her. С) You must see her.
48. Only when I hear from you will I relax.
А) I only relax when I hear from you.
В) I won’t relax if I hear from you.
С) Unless I hear from you I won’t relax.
49. Since you are in town, you’d be crazy not to give her a call.
А) If you call, she will think you are crazy.
В) She thought your call was rather silly.
С) It would be a good idea to call her.
50. The butler could hardly have been the one who did it.
А) The butler tried hard to do it.
В) It was not likely that the butler had done it.
С) The butler almost did it.
Do you know English and American literature?
51. A. Christie has written lots of … stories.
А) adventure B) fantastic C) detective
52. Miss Marple is the character of the books written by … .
А) A. Christie B) A. Conan Doyle C) G. Chesterton
53. Sherlock Holmes is the character of the books written by … .
А) A. Christie B) A. Conan Doyle C) G. Chesterton
54. One of the greatest authors of "ghost” stories is … .
А) M. Twain B) J.D. Salinger C) E. Poe
55. His real name was William Sydney Porter.
А) O’ Henry B) M. Twain C) Ch. Dickens
56. His real name was Samuel Clemens.
А) J. London B) O’ Henry C) M. Twain
57. The novel "Jane Eyre” was written by … Bronte.
А) Charlotte B) Emily C) Anne
58. The words "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark” belong to … .
А) Hamlet B) King Lear C) Othello
59. He was not born in Ireland.
А) O. Wilde B) B. Shaw C) Ch. Dickens
60. The novel shows the events of the Civil War in the USA.
А) "Gone with the Wind” B) "American Tragedy” C) "Farewell to Arms”
Скачать буклет в PDF